<  Public  ~  Haze

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
User avatarAngry MemberPosts: 473Location: Tampa, FLJoined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:00 pm
Totally random... anyone know of a word that describes that hazy effect you see when cars are pumping out exhaust and the air gets all bendy?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote
User avatarAngry OfficerPosts: 3263Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:00 pm
Heat distortion?

Nubpunter

AIM: RPZip
MSN: RPZip@hotmail.com (Don't actually read hotmail for e-mail, just for IMs)
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quote
User avatarAngry MemberPosts: 473Location: Tampa, FLJoined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:00 pm
Yeah, I mean that certainly works. But that describes a more general phenomenon. Don't get me wrong, I don't think a word exists for the more specific case I'm asking, just making sure.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote
User avatarAngry MemberPosts: 1382Location: Miami, Fl.Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:01 am
Refraction?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Posts: 536Location: Ogden, UTJoined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:38 pm
The event of Heat exiting the tail pipe and distorting the light is exactly what's happening.

Heat distortion is probably the best way to describe what you're looking for. It's kinda like saying "water is falling from the sky" when it's Raining, but it works.

There just might not be a "name" for that... or there might be and we just don't know it right now.

... I just got off work so I'm not going to get into this any further but there is a lot I could say on this lol.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
User avatarPosts: 156Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 11:02 am
Moo got it.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
User avatarAngry Guild MasterPosts: 23052Location: Austin, TXJoined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:00 pm
yep, apparently refraction is the right term. i think more people would know what you're talking about if you said "heat distortion" though, hah.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:02 am Reply with quote
User avatarAngry MemberPosts: 1677Location: Templeton, MAJoined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:00 pm
Heat Haze is the officially excepted term for it, but it's caused by refraction of the light through the heated area as it comes to your eyes.

You could also argue for diffraction, or even a combination of refraction, diffraction, and reflection.

There's the heat haze rising from a car's hood, exhaust pipe, the pavement on a long road, an the horizon out in the distance.

90 Paladin - Supermyk
90 Hunter - Mykk
90 Priest - Mykul
90 Warlock - Mykol
90 Druid - Mykil
90 Shaman - Mykie
90 Warrior - Mykaal
90 Death Knight - Annatar
90 Monk - Ralatar

"Thought we go see dragon queen. This just some elf-lady with funny horns."
Offline Profile